Sunday, July 12, 2009

Hackers Welcome

Greetings All. Welcome to what I am hoping will be an exciting journey not just for myself but for all of you out there who either run Linux or who may be interested in running it. For you "newbies", this will truly be an adventure into the unknown, but hopefully it will be a worthwhile experience and lead you to a new found love for Linux. For you "vets" and "gurus", most of what I write about won't be exactly ground breaking, but I hope that it at least will be enjoyable and maybe even *gasp* informative.

So I should start off by outlining what it is I want to do with this site. I really enjoy trying new things, so mainly I am going to be reviewing Linux "distros". The plan is to run a new distro every week, talk about any issues I run into, discuss the solutions to said problems and at the end of the week write a final review. Also, I am planning to test on various systems that I own, so that the reader can get a sense of whether a particular distro will work with their hardware setup.

So, now that we have the course laid out, I suppose I should say a little about the instructor. Am I some hardcore geek with a Ph.D in Computer Science, teaching at a university and compiling kernel code for fun? Heck no! I am just a regular guy who happens to enjoy using Linux. I am not a command-line master nor am I a programmer, so I am not going to be using too much jargon and will try not to talk down to people, or over their heads. Mainly I am a guy that grew tired of the limits imposed on me by other operating systems and was looking for something a bit more free. I must say that I have found it. I hope you will too. Welcome to Linux!

No comments:

Post a Comment