Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Meet Kubuntu 9.04

Well after a bit of internal debate, I decided to start with something a bit familiar and yet so unfamiliar at the same time. I thought about beginning with my "native" distro which is Ubuntu, but why stay in home waters when this site is about discovery. So into the shallows I waded, over to the Kubuntu site and downloaded the LiveCD ISO image. Using a program called UNetbootin, I extracted the ISO file onto a USB thumb drive and created a bootable "LiveUSB". Then plugging in the USB key, and making sure that my bios was set to boot from it, I restarted my system.

You may ask why I don't just burn the ISO to a CD? The answer,I am not made of money and this is a very affordable option for playing with a variety of distro options. I really won't go into the performance of the "live" OS, at least on my desktop that is, because it is just used for testing and installation of the software to the hard disk. So as I have an empty hard drive in my desktop, I used that to perform a standard install. After the install was completed and a reboot, I was greeted with my new OS. And here it is!


Now as lovely as this is, I am kind of frightened by it as well. I am not a KDE user, so though this is Ubuntu, it really is nothing like Ubuntu. All the menus and layouts are completely different than what I am used to. Programs that I am so used to using on a daily basis, simply aren't here. So needless to say, I have to learn something utterly new. The only thing keeping me from curling up into a ball and crying is, well, I am kind of excited about the whole deal. So onward into the unknown I plunge, I'll let you know how things go with the installed version and will play around with the "live" version on my laptop and my Eee PC. BRB.

No comments:

Post a Comment